A place to speak about the unspeakable...
Are you feeling desperate, confused, angry, alone, numb, hurt, frightened or desolate? Perhaps you don’t know how you feel…
Are you worried about how your loved ones will react if you tell them how you really feel? Are you annoyed about how much of your past is affecting your future?
Sexual violence may have some lasting impacts on your life, your relationships, or your self-image. Many people who have experienced sexual violence find that counselling can be helpful. It's important to remember that counselling, even if it's free, is a process that's about you: your choices, your participation, your rights, skills and needs. As a trained counsellor, I will be able to listen, assist you in living with the legacies of sexual violence, and to develop strategies to change in the ways you want. Going to counselling doesn't mean you're crazy - on the contrary, most people who go to counselling are just trying to cope with the difficult experiences, traumas or problems they have experienced in their lives.
In counselling, you do not have to talk about the details of what happened if you don't want to but it can help you to stand up to self-blame and to the myths about sexual assault. Counselling helps you to look at the impact the abuse has had, or is having on your life. We can explore strategies that help you heal, become safe, and make your own choices about who you are and what kind of relationships you want to have.
What can you expect from your counselling?
- To form a trusting and safe relationship in which to explore your experiences, thoughts, feelings, issues or problems;
- To feel listened to and validated, that your experiences, thoughts and feelings matter, and are real;
- To be empowered to take more control in your life;
- To Identify your strengths, inner resources, and choices;
- To develop and move towards realistic personal goals;
- Gain valuable information and awareness about issues affecting your life;
- Develop strategies to enjoy life, have fulfilling relationships, and become resilient to problems that arise in everyday life.
If you feel that it would be beneficial to talk to a qualified, professional and experienced counsellor please call 08458 12 12 12