- Feel Intense fear, helplessness, or horror?
- Experience repeat and distressing recollections of the abuse/assault, including images, thoughts, or perceptions; Unable to distinguish between past events and reality?
- Have distressing and or frightening dreams about the abuse/assault?
- Avoid anything that may "trigger" a flashback including not talking about the attack itself?
- Pretend it never happened, and an inability to recall anything about the attack, "denial"?
- Have a feeling of numbness, detachment or "unrealness" about everything?
- Lack emotion or have an inability to feel love or care about anything?
- Feel depressed and isolated?
- Experience a change in sleep patterns? More often or not the ability to sleep or stay asleep for any length of time?
- Lack concentration?
- Want to avoid being touched and shy away from loved ones? Do sudden movements startle you?
- Lack trust in anyone, even close family or partners?
- Feel more irritable than usual? Do you have outbursts of anger and crying? Mood swings?
- Have a feeling of low self esteem and confidence?
- Feel dirty or disgusting?
- Feel embarrassed or shameful about the assault/abuse?. Do you sometimes blame yourself for the abuse?
- Have a loss of appetite or a change in eating patterns?
If you have answered YES to one or more of these questions, you maybe experiencing a form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and could benefit from talking to a professional who understands the affects of trauma and can help you to cope with these feelings.
Don't worry if you don't know how you are feeling...that is completely natural too!
At Twelves Company you can access specialist short-term therapy that will help you to take back control of your emotions and your life.